Sunday, July 8, 2012

Over the past few weeks I have averaged 8 hours of cycling a week, over and above the 4 hours of CrossFit workouts I've been doing.  That's somewhere between 160 - 185 mile a week.  This is all depending on whether or not the training included hill repeats.  There are a couple of interesting observations I've made from the training protocol I am doing.  First, by not competing in the CrossFit Games, I'm able to train with a lot more creativity and enjoyment.  I have truly missed riding a bicycle.  I'm not talking about going for an easy ride.  I talking about riding with my tongue hanging out, gasping for air, full throttle, type riding.  Very similar to how a CrossFit workout makes you feel.  This was a huge part of my life before the Games entered the picture.  The second thing I discovered was how much ALL that CrossFit training helped me become a much better, fitter cyclist.  Sure, you still have to do the work, but, the foundation set by all the CF workouts made the suffering on the bike familiar territory.  That was an easy transition.  
Here's a training day from last week:
A.M.
4 Rounds
20 Squat Cleans  95#
1 Rope Climb  20'
400m Run
Time: 23:01
P.M.
Bike ride 33 miles.  6 X :30 hill efforts w/ 2 minute recovery.
Result:  1 hour 52 minutes.  I could feel every single clean during these efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment