Tuesday, March 27, 2012

CrossFit Games Open Workout 12.5
AMRAP in 7 Minutes of:
3 Thrusters 100#
3 Chest to Bar Pull Ups
6 Thrusters
6 CTB Pull Ups
9 Thrusters
9 CTB Pull Ups
ETC...
Results: 83
This was a far cry from the 101 reps I got last year. What this workout proved to me, this year, is my fitness was no where near what it was last year. I remember how badly I wanted to get over 100 reps last year, but this year, as soon as I hit the 12 reps, it was over. My mental state proved to be very weak, also. I was not willing to give the high effort that I gave last year. I checked out 4 minutes into the workout. Maybe, if I was a little higher in the standings, I would have wanted to hurt a little more. But, I'll never know that outcome. After the week 2 workout, my quest for the Games was over. I finished 23rd over all. The 3 months post surgery put me behind in my preparation and it showed. I'm going to assess the path I'll travel from here and see what happens. In the meantime, I will continue to post workouts, coaching tips and overall views of the fitness industry.

6 comments:

  1. Paul, following you has been VERY motivational. The insight to the mental aspect of what you were doing has been ....comforting. My struggle to set realistic goals and learning to listen to my body have been easier because we all have to do it. Great effort. I will continue to check in here for more insights.

    Tom in Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, following you has been VERY motivational. The insight to the mental aspect of what you were doing has been ....comforting. My struggle to set realistic goals and learning to listen to my body have been easier because we all have to do it. Great effort. I will continue to check in here for more insights.

    Tom in Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,
    Thank you for your interest in my blog. I appreciate it very much. Keep checking in now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pablo... nice work .. that rep was a tough one to lose. Keep up the good work. Always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work! all of your blogs are an Inspiration. So let me ask you this, have it ever cross your mind to give up? if yes how do you over come that feeling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Thanks. I have done 30+ triathlons over the years and I can count on one hand the times during the swim portion that I didn't say to myself, "why am I doing this?" Or "I'm not doing this again." I looked at it as a slither of mental weakness that all who put their toes on the line to compete face. It doesn't mean that you don't like competing, or aren't prepared. It's just a part of human nature. As an athlete, you train yourself for competition. That's where training pays off....or it doesn't. In CrossFit, I have never wanted to quit a workout or during a competition. I think that this past year, I was never on top of my game. At least enough to be ready for the Open. During these 5 weeks of competition, I was relying on my past athletic resevior and not on the kind of conditioning that's required to be able to compete at the Games. The hardest part, for me, was coming to that conclusion early on. Not being prepared enough. I still owed an effort for my gym and the athletes I was preparing for the Open. I didn't want to set a bad example for them. I hope that answers your question.

      Delete